Did you Know?
There are 1,900 mosques in the United States, representing many different cultures and traditions.
Islamic Society of Orange County
Garden Grove, California
The Islamic Society of Orange County was one of the first Muslim centers in southern California. It is also one of the largest, attracting up to 3,000 worshippers at Friday prayers. The center, established in 1976, is a leader in community and interfaith outreach. It recently started a food pantry and offered a course on world religions. The center includes a mosque —- Masjid Al-Rahman — a school and community rooms. Orange County’s Muslim population is highly diverse and is one of the largest in the United States.
Did you Know?
- Muslim Americans living in the United States feel more hopeful and consider themselves better off than they did three years ago (Source)
- The oldest existing mosque in America, The Mother Mosque, was built in 1934, sits on a quiet residential street in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. (Source)
- In 1999, the U.S. State Department hosted its first Iftar for Muslim Americans at the State Department. (Source)
- In 2001, the U.S. Postal Service issued their first stamp honoring Eid al-Fitr. (Source)
- Iftar dinners at the White House during Ramadan have become regular occasions since the mid-1990’s. (Source)
Articles and Publications
- Ramadan in America: Faith and Community
- An Iftar for Everyone
- Ramadan Is Time for Getting To Know Muslims in America
- Being Muslim in America (e-book: PDF 6.01 MB)
- Features: Multiculture Ramadhan